The cost of smoking
A few months ago I celebrated my 18 smoke-free months. I came across some interesting stats, had I continued to smoke:
- I would have smoked roughly another 10,950 cigarettes!
- Smoking cigarettes would cost me R 90.00 per week, R 360.00 per month, and R 4,320.00 per year.
- Based on the national average of cigarettes smoked and the average seven years of life lost due to smoking, smokers lose 5 1/2 minutes of life per cigarette smoked. At this rate, my life would have been shortened by as much as 502 hours per year by smoking 15 cigarettes a day.
- This works out to 20.91 days lost per year.
- Over the last 2 years, I would have already shortened my life by 41.82 days!
If had continued smoking, I would smoke 5,475 cigarettes over the next year, 27,375 cigarettes over the next five years, and 54,750 cigarettes over the next 10 years.